Anyone who chooses to scale the Pfingstberg in Potsdam will be rewarded with more than just the striking architecture of the Belvedere Palace. A small, but no less beautiful architectural treasure – the Temple of Pomona – awaits the explorer on the southern slope. It was the first constructed work of the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel and it is quite exceptional. The building was commissioned in 1801 by the Prussian Privy Councilor and district administrator Carl Ludwig von Oesfeld, who owned a large vineyard that included the “Temple de Pomona” – a temple in honor of Pomona, the Roman goddess and benefactress of fruit. As a gift to his wife, von Oesfeld had the original temple torn down and rebuilt by Schinkel in a new design at a site on higher ground.